[squeak-dev] Re: Funding

Derek O'Connell doconnel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 09:23:32 UTC 2008

I believe the idea of exclusive content (whatever that may be) is not
a solution to funding. In fact I think it will even have the opposite
effect of alienating many of the *178* who bothered enough to vote.
Much better to foster a more *inclusive* community spirit and try to
increase that number a 100 times. Then you may have the critical mass
to offer value-added extras. Blender is a good example and despite
past failures it now seems to be doing pretty well. Outside of the
product itself, I put most of Blenders success down to the very
vibrant BlenderArtists FORUM with "over 20,000 registered users". IMHO
a modern style forum is essential these days as I suspect most of the
younger generation are simply not inspired by mailing lists. There is
a sense of "congregating" around a forum while a mailing-list appears
as a somewhat intrusive cluttering of already busy mailboxes. It would
also help if there was a more visible focus on new users and usability
in general.