[squeak-dev] Squeak News Team Report - March 2008

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:42:12 UTC 2008

Hello All,

This is your monthly News report for March 2008.

We had 14,558 direct page views for the month of March, this is
slightly up from February, and better than the figure for the same
month last year.

In total, eleven articles were posted. Our top three articles were
(figures includes RSS views):

Squeak by Example, 2.0!  -- 4527 hits
<http://news.squeak.org/2008/03/12/squeak-by-example-20/>

Squeak 3.10 now released! -- 3827 hits
<http://news.squeak.org/2008/03/21/380/>

Dan Ingalls demos Lively at Google -- 3291 hits
<http://news.squeak.org/2008/03/14/dan-ingalls-demos-lively-at-google/>

There was an interesting discussion on the Seaside mailing list as to
whether that mailing list should still be included in the distribution
list of Michael Haupt's regular summaries of the interesting articles
from news.squeak.org, especially now that Seaside is clearly
multi-platform. The consensus was that this is still appropriate, and
two interesting points were raised in support of this:
- The Weekly Squeak helps build a sense of community within both the
Squeak user group and the wider Smalltalk audience.
- It's also a very useful way of advertising interesting work to a
wider audience.

When the News Team was set up, its purpose was defined as follows:
"The purpose of the News Team is to publish news regarding Squeak
development and use. It aims to provide a service to the Squeak
community, highlighting anything which Squeak users may find
interesting in The Weekly Squeak newszine. It will also try to promote
Squeak outside its own community, by submitting articles and news
items to mainstream websites such as Slashdot and OSNews."

In light of the direction that news.squeak.org has been taking, and
the recent discussion, I'd like to amend that, and have it refer
explicitly to Squeak and Smalltalk. Obviously the core focus will be
on Squeak, but general promotion of Smalltalk would be a clear
secondary focus. Any objections?

Ron Teitelbaum stepped down from the role of Squeak News Team Leader
at the end of March, handing his duties over to me. I'd like to thank
him for his work in this role, and for continuing to uncover and post
interesting articles.

If you have any news that you think that others may find interesting
or useful, please feel free to drop the News Team a line. If you're
planning any publicity for new releases, book launches, we can work
with you to co-ordinate publication.

Happy Squeaking,
Michael Davies
Squeak News Team Leader.