[squeak-dev] Re: Sophie License was (Funding)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Apr 8 00:43:51 UTC 2008

Ah a license question.
Well I'm not a lawyer, however my understanding is below, I'm sure
others will comment.

Sophie loads onto a base 3.8.x squeak image (license for that is?)
comes from I think the iSqueak repository.
then we load stuff from

source.impara.de/iSqueak   (license?)  ask impara
source.impara.de/Tweak   (license?)  ask impara
source.impara.de/freetype (license?)  ask impara
source.impara.de/Rome  (license?)  ask impara
source.impara.de/Grit   (license?) ask impara

I also have stuff from
http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html   (license?) ask Michael
http://www.squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder.html (license?)

For
source.sophieproject.org/Sophie  any category starting with Sophie-
is clearly written for Sophie thus under the
Sophie license.  In theory all code in there should be under the
Sophie license however there *could* be some
contamination when you consider we modify or add to existing classes
found in the base squeak and from other repositories on  impara.de

Say for example overrides  or mod to the base URI class in Squeak,
what license does that method have then?

Other categories
XUL					not sure (ask impara) Although since it starts at XUL-be.2 in
the repository I'm sure it's Sophie-License.
System-ClipBoard-Extended Sophie License
System-ClipBoard-Extended-Plugin   Sophie License
S3*						Sophie License.
Network-MIME			Sophie License
Files-Locations			Sophie License

These are overrides and additional code to stuff in Tweak, Squeak and
EToys.

Multilingual				Sophie License for the overrides and additions, code
base Squeak
Scripting				Sophie License for the overrides and additions, code base
Tweak
Multilingual-Display		Sophie License for the overrides and additions,
code base Squeak
Multilingual-Scanning		Sophie License for the overrides and additions,
code base Squeak
Network-URI				Sophie License for the overrides and additions, code
base Squeak
Sophie-Movie			Sophie License, but contains OGG code from the EToys
OLPC project,  (code base OLPC EToys).

Any macintosh C source code I wrote for Sophie would be under the MIT
license.

Anyone of course relying on this should do their own audit of course.

--
=
=