[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 04:44:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/4/8 Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >

> > > I'm aware of at least two of module-based solutions for Squeak:
> > > - Spoon by Craig Latta
> > > - Namespaces by Michael van Der Gulik , as part of his SecureSqueak
> > project
> > >
> > > Both systems currently in development. And almost 99% it is solo
> > > development by their authors.
> > > Both systems having own pros and cons , and it's hard to decide (as
> > > for me), which is better for the future of Squeak.
> >

> > FWIW, "SecureSqueak" isn't going to be the future of Squeak; it's going
> > be a fork. It's going to be too different from Squeak to be a good
> candidate
> > for a future version.
> >

> Yes, if you read my latest post in this thread about forks. Isn't it
> would be better to make fork become Squeak in that way? ;)
> I don't want to repeat myself, but do you think it wouldn't be better
> to incorporate module-based system in Squeak release?
> Because if not, then obviously Squeak community will be forked as
> well. Is there a way to put stop on this? Can we make a system which
> will make need of forking unnecessary?

I think DeltaStreams has a lot of potential to keep the various forks of
Squeak together. At some stage I'll investigate whether it can be integrated
into Namespaces. If this works well, it would be the best way to share bug
fixes with each other.

I also think that forking the community should be encouraged. The "
squeak.org image" should be a minimal lowest-common-denominator image, which
others take and, by adding packages, make into a variety of images for
various uses, such as Squeak-Dev or FunSqueak. For now, MC does an adequate
job[1].

One of the reasons that it is unlikely that my Namespaces implementation
will be able to be part of the squeak.org image is because I plan to do away
with the "Smalltalk" SystemDictionary and reorganise everything into
individual, live Packages, each containing hierarchies of Namespaces and
Classes. The community here would never agree to such a radical change.

[1] You currently can't load my NamespaceTools package from the package
universe browser because MC has trouble redefining instance variables in
some of the ToolBuilder packages. It works if you recompile several classes.

Gulik.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/