[squeak-dev] Re: Sophie License was (Funding)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Apr 8 04:55:07 UTC 2008

John M McIntosh wrote:
> Well I'm not a lawyer, however my understanding is below, I'm sure
> others will comment.

Well, it's basically just a question about what are the base packages
covered since I happen to know a couple of them being used by Sophie
that probably aren't BSD licensed (Freetype comes to mind).

> Sophie loads onto a base 3.8.x squeak image (license for that is?)
> comes from I think the iSqueak repository.
> then we load stuff from
>
> source.impara.de/iSqueak   (license?)  ask impara
> source.impara.de/Tweak   (license?)  ask impara
> source.impara.de/freetype (license?)  ask impara
> source.impara.de/Rome  (license?)  ask impara
> source.impara.de/Grit   (license?) ask impara

Tweak I can actually speak for myself ;-) but for the others it would be
interesting to know what license they're under. I would suspect MIT
because these started during my days at Impara and at that time MIT was
the preferred license. And the core Freetype libs are probably under
whatever license Freetype is under these days (haven't checked in a while).

> I also have stuff from
> http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html   (license?) ask Michael
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ToolBuilder.html (license?)

Oh, Toolbuilder. Right. I'll ask the authors for MIT licensing. I think
that for historical reasons it is currently probably under Squeak-L.

> For
> source.sophieproject.org/Sophie  any category starting with Sophie-  is
> clearly written for Sophie thus under the
> Sophie license.  In theory all code in there should be under the Sophie
> license however there *could* be some
> contamination when you consider we modify or add to existing classes
> found in the base squeak and from other repositories on  impara.de

Yeah, I'm more curious about the core classes etc. not as much about any
extensions/overrides.

> Say for example overrides  or mod to the base URI class in Squeak, what
> license does that method have then?

Don't care. Either one is fine as far as I am concerned.

> Other categories
> XUL                    not sure (ask impara) Although since it starts at
> XUL-be.2 in the repository I'm sure it's Sophie-License.
> System-ClipBoard-Extended Sophie License
> System-ClipBoard-Extended-Plugin   Sophie License
> S3*                        Sophie License.
> Network-MIME            Sophie License
> Files-Locations            Sophie License
>
> These are overrides and additional code to stuff in Tweak, Squeak and
> EToys.

These are actually interesting to me. Any word on XUL?

> Anyone of course relying on this should do their own audit of course.

Yup, but thanks for the overview.

Cheers,
   - Andreas