[squeak-dev] How to load Monticello into etoys-dev-3.0 (again!)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 8 15:58:07 UTC 2008

On 08.04.2008, at 02:13, Simon Guest wrote:
> At Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:18:18 +0545,
> Ties Stuij wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Simon Guest <simon.guest at tesujimath.org
>> > wrote:
>>> So, how do I load Monticello into etoys-dev-3.0?  Any help
>>> appreciated!
>>
>> This will work (on a clean 3.0 image anyway). It's a bit hackish,
>> but hey:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys_Tips_and_Tricks#Installing_Monticello_on_your_Etoys_image
>
> OK, that explains why I couldn't work it out myself ... !
>
> Thanks for your help.

The problem is that the Squeakmap update process tries to install a
Monticello version that cannot cope with the stubs left by MCInstaller
(at least that's my theory of the problem). I can load it, when the
walkback pops up I edit the offending method in place (wrapping the
ancestor creation in an #ifError: block) and continue. But I can see
how this won't fly with other users ;)

We should indeed consider adding Monticello to the -dev image and
stripping it out for the release. Or maybe even better, fix the
Squeakmap update process so it can be easily installed.

- Bert -