[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

Sean Heber sean at fifthace.com
Wed Apr 9 00:30:24 UTC 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:03 PM, cdrick wrote:

>> *didn't* have 'all that junk' the immediate result would be
>> complaints that
>> 'it doesn't have all that useful stuff like other systems'.
>>>>

>>> IMHO in other systems the 'junk' is simply not that much in-your-
>>> face as
>> in the SystemBrowser. It's hidden in library code that you never
>> look at
>> except for its documented API.
>>>

>>  Interesting way of looking at it. Perhaps it might be sensible to
>> have a
>> browser for typical use that shows much less detail of the
>> 'kernel' classes
>> so as to cause less fear and concern for less experienced
>> developers. We did
>> something along those lines for LearningWorks with reasonable
>> success.
>
> +1

I hate to add more noise to this, but +1 from me, too.  It'd be
interesting if the entire initial Squeak image UI could be made to
feel more like a "traditional" language IDE by default where you
primarily see *your* project code/classes with everything else
available by more indirect means.

l8r
Sean