[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:24:15 UTC 2008

> Hello Sean,
>
>  SH> I hate to add more noise to this, but +1 from me, too.  It'd be
>  SH> interesting if the entire initial Squeak image UI could be made to
>  SH> feel more like a "traditional" language IDE by default where you
>  SH> primarily see *your* project code/classes with everything else
>  SH> available by more indirect means.
>
>  you would need Tric Refactoring Browser by Cees DeGroot which starts
>  empty. "Find class" adds all classes of that classes category and right
>  clicking on a category brings "hide this category" and "hide all" menu
>  options.
>
>  I'm on 3.8 and can't tell if the switch to OB might stop this feature.
>  This and the tracing messages browser from Chris Muller (hierarchical
>  cross class view of an algorithm in a single window) help me to get
>  up to speed with projects I had to abandon for a month or two.

Actually, there is OB-Enhancement that helps in that respect.

If you have the last squeak-dev and squeak web... Try Smart Group
Browser (open menu or first iconic button).

David is the guy who do this browser. I'm sure he'd love more feedback ;)
It combines a package view (with associated MC commands) and a group
view (there is a switch) called smart group, that does the same as the
Tric Refractoring browser.

You should give a try. Only problem is it feels a bit slow, but I
really like using it. You can create new groups and then add nearly
whatever you want in it (classes, packages, class categories, method,
etc...) + there is a group for the results of classes search from the
upper entry (try typin Coll*Tes in the mercury panel, and go to smart
group.

I use it nearly all the time, even if a bit slow somtimes but this is
work in progress...

Cheers,

Cédrick

ps: but still, hiding some 'squeak mecanics' to the average user would
be a good thing...