Can we print "free books" in lulu.com ? (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: The Blue Book on ACM)

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:10:09 UTC 2008

Hi Oscar,

2008/4/9, Oscar Nierstrasz <oscar.nierstrasz at gmail.com>:

>  Hi, Cédrick,
>
>  You can print anything with Lulu.  Just make it a private project and print
> copies for yourself.

ok, this is cool...

>  I have done this already for another book that I cannot yet release
> publicly.
>
>  The real problem will be with the PDFs, as Lulu requites that all fonts be
> embedded. You may have to do some work to substitute non-embedded fonts.

So I imagine this is simply not possible for scanned books.

>  I suggest you just go ahead and try it.  As long as you are not selling the
> books publicly there is no copyright issue, I think.

ok as far as it's private... ;)   good to know.

but what about beeing a little more public, just for out of print book.

So for books where it's possible (pdf with fonts included) on
Stephane's page, we could add a link to Lulu...

This could also, be a small funding source for ESUG or squeak
fundation, I don't know...  Issue here is probably the legal one...
and I have no clue on that ! In other words, does the fact that
original authors allowed online publication would allow
lulu-printing... ? I guess it's not that simple...

Thanks anyway,

Cédrick

ps: BTW, I finally got a real copy of the blue book... as Ian kindly
proposed me to be the intermediate... :))