[squeak-dev] Sake/Packages

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Wed Apr 9 13:33:09 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> What i like in above, that it's self-explanatory, easy to find and
> don't requires extra UI/GUI to manage package.
> Any developer can describe/define own package in a few minutes as
> simple as writing a method!
> Just choose appropriate name for a method, like #packageConfiguration.
> Then anyone can browse all packages by hitting implementors. :)

I don't think whether something requires an extra GUI or not should weigh
heavily in evaluating something.  With a better browser, you could
accomodate a greater variety of things.  Years ago, similar thinking led to
the use of classes and inheritance to define exception hierarchies and I
think that was a mistake.  I implemented the original exception handling
system for ObjectStudio and I patterned it after the VisualWorks instance
based approach (it was instance based then, a sort of hybrid now).  Then the
ANSI standard came along and I re-implemented it on the theory that
standards compliance was of greater importance.  But, I felt, and still feel
that the instance based approach that VisualWorks had originall was simpler
and superior despite not being browser friendly.

- Stephen