[squeak-dev] Re: What turns off newcomers

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Wed Apr 9 14:19:29 UTC 2008

Le lundi 07 avril 2008 à 17:04 -0700, Randal L. Schwartz a écrit :

> Sean> Historically, you often need a single or small group of focused radicals
> Sean> in a position of power to effect change - for better or worse.  The
> Sean> board could be that group of radicals by doing things like getting
> Sean> together and redefining what "Squeak" actually means.  What it includes
> Sean> in an image.  What it looks like.  How you use it.
>
> Oddly enough, that's my vision for the SqF board as well.  And I'm on it.  I
> believe there needs to be a clear focus, and I'll be working to ensure that
> the board provides the focus.

I am tempted to think SqF board should not be afraid to choose direction
leading to incompatibility in the API, especially for a better Squeak
providing solution to large Squeak community user. Project like Gnome
broke API several time, some lib becoming obsolete, but Gnome is very
successful and developers of Gnome applications get used to port their
application to new API.

Hilaire