[squeak-dev] Re: 1.0 not a valid VersionNumber?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 17:40:19 UTC 2008

> That's just a design decision I made.  I felt was would be confusing to have
> version numbers "1" and "1.0" in the same lineage.  When you create a
> branch, you would make "1.1" based on "1".

Fundamentally, what this illustrates is that these version numbers are
imminently suitable for internal versioning of a product during
development, and are more or less akin to, say, SVN revision numbers
or the like (obviously with more semantics built in), but are wholly
unsuitable (and were probably never meant to be used) for
customer-facing version numbers that would be used for marking public
releases.

Brett.