[squeak-dev] What turns off newcomers

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 9 19:11:41 UTC 2008

On 9-Apr-08, at 12:03 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> Am 09.04.2008 um 18:59 schrieb Ken G. Brown:
>
>> One thing that really bothered me when first starting out with
>> Squeak, was the requirement for modifying code in order add 'self
>> halt' to work with the debugger.
>> I still find that to be bothersome. Intuitively it seems to me that
>> breakpoints should have no way to modify code.
>>
> Yes, that is a point that annoys me, too.
> Even Dolphin Smalltalk has this drawback, but there is a
> sophisticated solution in Tools+ (by Solutions Software) called
> Method Spies.

Don't forget the 'toggle break point' menu item. It could do with
improvements (like a way to return any and all breakpoints to normal,
some indication of a method having a breakpoint in the broswer etc)
but it is very useful.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!
= May barbarians invade your personal space!