[squeak-dev] Break points (was: What turns off newcomers)

kengbrown kbrown at mac.com
Wed Apr 9 20:19:42 UTC 2008

--- In squeak at yahoogroups.com, Bert Freudenberg <bert at ...> wrote:

> On 09.04.2008, at 12:03, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> >
> > Am 09.04.2008 um 18:59 schrieb Ken G. Brown:
> >
> >> One thing that really bothered me when first starting out with
> >> Squeak, was the requirement for modifying code in order add 'self
> >> halt' to work with the debugger.
> >> I still find that to be bothersome. Intuitively it seems to me that
> >> breakpoints should have no way to modify code.
> >>
> > Yes, that is a point that annoys me, too.
> > Even Dolphin Smalltalk has this drawback, but there is a
> > sophisticated solution in Tools+ (by Solutions Software) called
> > Method Spies.
>

> Actually, Squeak has break points. Click on a method in the system
> browser, and choose "toggle break on entry".
>
> Problem is the highlighting in the method list has been broken for
> some while, methods with break points used to be marked.
>
> - Bert -

Well, 'toggle breakpoint on entry' also seems to be missing from the default System
Browser in latest 3.10 dev image too. And there isn't any World  menu selection to open
the regular System Browser that has it. You can overcome that by doing 'Browser open' in
a Workspace to get the 'toggle breakpoint on entry' at which point you have two different
browsers with the same title, with different functionality.

Wonder what the rationale is for the inconsistency in Browser types vs naming?

In any case, it would be nice to be able to set a breakpoint on a method whilst in the
Debugger. Bet you could whip that up in no time Bert! :)

Ken G. Brown