[squeak-dev] [Q] Last recommended VM for 3.10 basic ?

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Fri Apr 11 09:16:44 UTC 2008

> For version 3.9 at <http://ftp.squeak.org/>, we have Squeak3.9-
> final-7067.zip with Squeak3.9-final-7067.image inside and
> Squeak3.9.1-final-7075.zip with Squeak3.9.1-final-7075.image inside.
> So 'final' in the name evidently does not mean anything.

It means something.
We should remove
	Squeak3.9.1-final-7075.image
Because there was a little glitche on it. I just forget.
So of course we forget to follow 3.8 naming convention.
Do you know how much time we spent on doing this release?

> Versions 3.10 requires version SqueakV39.sources which also is
> confusing, 3.9 versions also require SqueakV39.sources, however,
> versions 3.8 and below in the 3.x range require SqueakV3.sources.

3.0 is used by 3.1, 3.2,,,, 3.8.
What were the other viable solutions?

Not delivering 3.9. Fixing the source management and delay the 3.9
release for some extra couples of months?

> And then there are the many VM's! Whew...

Why the VM are a problem.
If there are compatible. We should just create a bundle with the
latest compatible VM.
Generally, use the latest released VM for your platform.