[squeak-dev] Re: SOME ONE FROM AFGHANISTAN NEED UR HELP

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:19:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Usman Mansour Ansari <jalalkut at gmail.com> wrote:

> dear bro salam,
>
> hope you would be in best of ur health.
>
> dear! i want to know that how i will be able to translate the epaati
> activity in my language. so kindly help me in this case, i will be than full
> to you
>
> regards
>
> --
> Usman Mansour Ansari
> OLPC Afghan Localization Manager
> OLPC: One Laptop Per Child - Non Profit Association
> Regional Office for South & Central Asia
> B-027, IIU Islamabad, Pakistan
>  http://www.laptop.org http://www.bloguna.com/olpc Email:jalalkut at gmail.com
> Cell# +92-333-5253083 | Phone: +92-51-2527281

Hey dear bro!

Hope you're in good health as well.

Sorry I'm so late with reacting. The deadline for giving the laptop
plus Epaati to actual kids is nearing rapidly so we were kind of busy
here.

But we would absolutely love for others to use Epaati as well. As of
yet there isn't a translation framework in place.

If you are a bit confident with Etoys or perhaps even Squeak,
translating the Epaati activities shouldn't be that much work. In my
mind there are two ways to go about it. But before that I should
explain that last time I checked the Devanagari font wasn't yet
supported in Etoys (could be wrong) (we use a non-unicode font to
render numbers though). As a result we make images of the text
segments we want to include. Which is a bit of a hassle and which
makes using the translation framework of Etoys (which I do not know
much about, but which I came across a couple of times in code) not an
option for us at the moment.

So the two options I came up with:

1 - go to the text you need to change and replace it with your own.
That shouldn't even be that much, since we have only English training
and maths activities at the moment. The English activities are in
English and the maths activities just have a bit of text. Most of the
text is in the descriptions under the red question mark (in the new
Epaati bundle, downloadable in a few days, with a lot more activities
and much better performance). Changing the text would anyway be a hell
of a lot less work than coding these from scratch. And the work is
really easy, albeit perhaps a bit tedious.

2 - Be more thorough and actually abstract away the pics and nrs. Some
Squeak knowledge required.

Does one of these sound reasonable to you?

Hope so, because it would be awesome if people speaking other
languages than Nepali could also leverage this suite.

/Ties