[squeak-dev] Chaotic menu item positions, for example [was: What turns off newcomers]

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Fri Apr 11 21:38:14 UTC 2008

> Please do not hesitate and post your suggestions and
> observations with
> menu item positions.
>
> /Klaus

Then here is mine: Smalltalk has excellent heuristics scoring by design probably
one of the best at programing level but IMHO we seriusly need help of designer/s
who understand about usability and UI design and we need to hear their opinions
to see where to start stating priorities.

This is *a must* lecture, to be made slow and consciously, for any developer
whom may build a interface for any piece of software no matter the technology or
medium (web, desktop, mobile, etc):

	http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html
	http://www.asktog.com/basics/firstPrinciples.html

About the menus I think they have to be reviewed so they demostrate respect to
this basic design principles.

The goal must be no other than the analogous psychological effect of entering in
a shopping center (or any clean and safe environment) where you can read, watch,
consume and produce ideas (automated thoughts aka software).

I understand the size of the challenge but that does not invalidates the fact
squeak has a lot to improve in the field of usability.

	cheers,

Sebastian Sastre