[squeak-dev] Re: Chaotic menu item positions, for example [was: What turns off newcomers]

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Sat Apr 12 14:20:50 UTC 2008

> The goal must be no other than the analogous psychological
> effect of
> > entering in
> > a shopping center (or any clean and safe environment) where
> you can
> > read, watch,
> > consume and produce ideas (automated thoughts aka software).
>
> A good idea but, design by psychological "rationale" is too
> far away from
> my everyday's work (though I *love* psychedelic art :)
>
> How about starting with a MenuItemsAndLists Customizer tool,
> for the hands
> of UI designers, the model of which every tool must be conformant to ?

Most probably tools will be useful, but be cautious on doing something too
early. My previous email was intentionally wrote to sensibilize about the lack
of bird's eye about usability. We need more Squeakers (that's us) to be
conscious and aware of the big picture of the issue before stating priorities
and investing efforts.

In the usability subject I see some improvments in the rigth direction: the
OmniBrowser-Full(0.25) and eCompletion, shout, and refactory. That's why the
public have an inclination to choose Squeak "distros" of Damien C. or Ramon L.
they want to consume "one click experiences".

If more authors are aware of how to *build* usability we will found N more
usability gems like (just to mention one) the #flag: message. Observe its effect
in detail: such a simple feature, which draws a little icon on a method, can be
the fundation of better comunicability among Squeak developers working on a
common project thousands kms/miles away. Have in mind they may be unable to seat
face to face to quickly discuss and set next steps and this is a great
palliation for that problem. Sounds familiar?

And speculating about which consequences will have a Squeak with a high score in
usability I can't see other but benefits for all: squeakers, squeaker users, the
smalltalk community, smalltalk newcomers and finally the industry. It's an all
win situation and is not necessarily onerous.

In short all I'm saying is maybe usability is being underestimated by us and if
we reflect on this **I'm absolutely confident** we will find the way to do
better. Usability can be constructed and we know how to construct things because
we where attracted by a machine useful to invent the future.

	cheers,

Sebastian