[squeak-dev] Chaotic menu item positions, for example [was: What turns off newcomers]

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Sat Apr 12 21:31:01 UTC 2008

Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> The goal must be no other than the analogous psychological effect of entering in
> a shopping center (or any clean and safe environment) where you can read, watch,
> consume and produce ideas (automated thoughts aka software).

Good idea - but you need to choose which shopping center you want to
look like (if not behave like, in certain aspects at least).

So, what is going to be the role model? Eclipse/Netbeans? Another
Smalltalk (Dolphin, VSE, VAST, VW, ST/X) IDE?

I would say Eclipse, for its probably the most commonly used IDE.

Speaking of IDE - I am using Seaside together with a WebDev Image, and
there is one thing that bothers me. In the standard OBSystemBrowser, if
you go to the variables tab, you get the variables browser. Then you add
an instance variable, the pane is refreshed. If you add the accessor
methods, it is not refreshed, i.e. there is no control refresh after the
model update.
I tried to find where that might be but failed, unfortunately :(

Anyhow, keep up the good work, Squeak is really nice.

Cheers,

Claus