[squeak-dev] Stable 3.10 Universe

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 20:12:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you have any specific problem with squeak-dev images?
>

>From a beginners point of view, meaning I just want to load something and
have it work, a fresh sq3.10-7159dev08.04.1.image gives me these two issues:

1.  FFI.  I know there has been all kinds of work done, but
world>open>Universe Browser (enhanced) and load either FFI 3.9 or 3.9.1
stops with a loud "MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>at:ifAbsent:"  So,
no FreeType (real fonts make a world of aesthetic difference!), and no ODBC
(kind of the heart of what I use Squeak for).

2.  Open a [MultipleSelection] Browser with world>open>system browser.
Create a new package.  Create a new class.  Create a method.  Delete the
method:
"MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>isSmartAlias."  I just can't seem to
get lucky with the browser!  I'm not saying I don't have various OmniBrowser
difficulties no matter what image I'm using, but at least I can delete a
method without an error message...

If I execute *SystemBrowser askForDefault *and select the
OBSystemBrowserAdaptor, I don't have that problem, but I just lucked out by
seeing that fly by.  As a beginner, I don't think I knew enough to ask the
right question to get there...

It just seems hard for me to get additional packages loaded into this
image.  I'm sure I am missing something, because everyone else out there
seems to be doing fine and things like deleting a method are common place!

So...I was just noting that I can grab all the packages I need using the
Stable 3.10 Universe Image and they all load and work, which is a nice first
impression for a beginner who isn't ready to dive deep into the weeds to get
things to load or fight with a browser!

Rob