Sound compression Re: [squeak-dev] Re: to be deployed Epaati version is out!

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Wed Apr 23 13:03:45 UTC 2008

Ties Stuij wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:46 PM, karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>  I looked at the project and noticed you did not use sound compression.
>>  I think you could save a lot of space using Ogg Vorbis or Speex.
>>

> Yes, definitely. And I have actually already fumbled around with
> attached changeset, but we had so much to fix and test and so little
> time, that we didn't have time to incorporate it. But thanks for the
> patch!

I just tested on the biggest project in the activity folder (IVE5_1_
names of color.015.pr) and the size went from 9259 KB to 2298 KB when I
compressed the sounds with Speex. I did not test any load speeds but I
guess they improve because there is much less bytes to move around.

And you can just keep the halo menu up (toggle the stay up button) when
you compress the sounds.

Karl