[squeak-dev] Re: Where can I find details on the Squeak image format?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Apr 25 16:27:40 UTC 2008

On 25-Apr-08, at 7:58 AM, Robert Wierschke wrote:

> I don't find the VMMaker package in the Squeak3.9 final or Squak3.9
> dev image. Is there a way to load these packages into the image?

I hope I don't sound rude here, but if you're so new to using Squeak
that you haven't yet had to learn about loading packages etc. you may
have quite a bit of trouble understanding enough of the system to
start hacking image formats.

There is already an image reader and writer, as well as the
SystemTracer for writing a differently formatted image. Once you have
the VMMaker package you will find it includes all you need (well, I
won't promise there aren't bugs) to read an image into a simulation of
the VM, run it and write it. IIRC Craig has probably been the most
recent user of simulation so hopefully he can chime in with more info.
When you have an image loaded into the simulator it is possible to
find out all sorts of things about it, though more tools might be
interesting.

I vaguely remember reading of some code to remotely access image files
being mentioned some time ago; perhaps Yoshiki or Takashi can help?

It would be very helpful if you could explain what you want to do with
the image.

tim
How was Thomas J. Watson buried?  9 edge down.