[squeak-dev] Re: Install on Debian / Ubuntu binary-amd64

Edward Stow ed.stow at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 09:02:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Norbert Hartl <norbert at hartl.name> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 11:16 +1000, Edward Stow wrote:
>  > Debian etch amd64 squeak redux.

[ ... stuff deleted ...]

>  > >From my limited knowledge of deb packages the basics are already
>  > available : Norbets deb plus the other i386 packages are needed to be
>  > put together.
>
>  can you clarify this?

The ftp.squeak.org/debian repository i386 architecture [1] also
contained packages :
squeak
squeak-vm
squeak-image3.9
squeak-image3.9univ
squeak-sources3.9

[1] http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages

The squeak package installs a starter   'squeak' shell script  that
conviently copies the images and source to your current directory.

So putting the amd64 package with these other packages would provide a
complete and equivalent amd64 installation.

>  to me. I put this package together for you in only a few minutes so
>  I'm sure it is not perfect. What might be missing are dependencies.
>  The only one I added are ia32-libs. Everything else which is
>  missing need to be put in the dependencies of this archive. But
>  if there are really i386 packags that are needed (I doubt it) than
>  the trouble just starts again because you won't be able to install
>  them on amd64. I don't know if you are the only user of the package
>  but tell me if you have trouble I'll have look what I can do.
>
>  Norbert

The package worked for me perfectly.  The dependencies were resolved
correctly in a fresh debian etch installation.

--

Edward Stow