[squeak-dev] Re: Install on Debian / Ubuntu binary-amd64

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Sat Apr 26 10:09:21 UTC 2008

Norbert Hartl napísal:
>>>  can you clarify this?
>> The ftp.squeak.org/debian repository i386 architecture [1] also
>> contained packages :
>> squeak
>> squeak-vm
>> squeak-image3.9
>> squeak-image3.9univ
>> squeak-sources3.9
>>
> Ah, ok, the first is a virtual package and all after the vm are
> not architecture dependent. So it has be ok.
>
> Norbert

Hi, I know that amd64 binary packages are missing from that repostory. I do not have root access to
a amd64 machine where I could myself try to build those packages.
(when I was buying new machine, I have chosen 32-bit machine rather than 64-bits to avoid problems)

Here is a complete procedure how to build those binaries from source packages:
To build squeak binary packages, please try the following procedure:

- add these lines:

	deb     http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main
	deb-src http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main

  to your /etc/apt/sources.list
  (you, alas, need root-account but that is needed anyway for
   installing build dependencies so there is no way around it)

- perform

	apt-get update

- go to some convenient working directory and perform

	apt-get source squeak

  This will fetch source package.

- install packages that must be installed before you can build squeak virtual machine:

	# (specific for Debian Etch)
	apt-get install debhelper xlibs-static-dev g++ libxpm-dev \
                        libtool docbook-to-man libxt-dev fakeroot

- build squeak packages

	cd squeak-3.9.8
	dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
	cd ..

- You should see newly created *.deb files

	squeak*.deb
	squeak-vm*.deb
	squeak-plugin*.deb

- So, now if you get the image file:

	apt-get install squeak-image3.9 squeak-plugin-image

  and if you install the packages you have just built:

	dpkg -i *.deb

  Then if you go to some convenient directory where you have (want to have) image files, you
  can start Squeak as follows:

	squeak
Does this work for you? Is it necessary to switch to special Squeak VM version? Are those
(architecture independent) packages providing Squeak images usable on amd64?

Regards
--
Matej Kosik (http://altair.sk)