[squeak-dev] Re: Where can I find details on the Squeak image format?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Apr 28 05:57:36 UTC 2008

> > I don't find the VMMaker package in the Squeak3.9 final or Squak3.9
> > dev image. Is there a way to load these packages into the image?
>
> I hope I don't sound rude here, but if you're so new to using Squeak
> that you haven't yet had to learn about loading packages etc. you may
> have quite a bit of trouble understanding enough of the system to
> start hacking image formats.

  Back in 2.3 era, I didn't know anything about Smalltalk/Squeak
internal (and I thought that it was a dead language) but managed to
port Squeak VM to a platform.  If there modules and packages,
etc. existed, I wouldn't be able to pull that off^^;

> There is already an image reader and writer, as well as the
> SystemTracer for writing a differently formatted image. Once you have
> the VMMaker package you will find it includes all you need (well, I
> won't promise there aren't bugs) to read an image into a simulation of
> the VM, run it and write it. IIRC Craig has probably been the most
> recent user of simulation so hopefully he can chime in with more info.
> When you have an image loaded into the simulator it is possible to
> find out all sorts of things about it, though more tools might be
> interesting.
>
> I vaguely remember reading of some code to remotely access image files
> being mentioned some time ago; perhaps Yoshiki or Takashi can help?

  That is my ImageBrowser thing.  That does use some knowledge
in CompiledMethod, MethodDictonary, etc.

> It would be very helpful if you could explain what you want to do with
> the image.

  Me, too.

-- Yoshiki