[squeak-dev] Re: Another FFI/Installer issue

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 22:43:10 UTC 2008

> Maybe, but that depends. I still think that it's hard for beginners starting with 3.10
> (or Squeakers who do not regulary scan Mantis/dev list or know about Installer)
> to be faced with a problematic image after loading FFI...
>
> Bye
> Torsten

I think that we/someone is confusing things here. In one breath we ask
the release team to provide a minimal image in which as many packages as
possible are removed. In the next we complain when total beginners are
not able to build their own custom images perfectly from scratch with
one click, or must learn a command line tool.

As far as I know the intention all along has been for the base image to
get smaller, and for derived images to be built from that base image
using scripts. The process of supplying working derived images for
beginners to play with was something that members of the community would
be expected to do at their leisure. So far we have several, squeak-dev,
squeak-web and FunSqueak. "Installer" of course makes this process much
easier, and http://installer.pbwiki.com/ provides a place for publishing
such scripts.

Sure we would like to have our cake (the small image) and eat it (build
derived images with one click), but the 3.10 release team picked
Universes to perform this task rather than Installer, so 3.10 doesnt
come with an up to date Installer or instructions on how to use it.
Universes can be persuaded to work in theory, but someone needs to
actually do it. I myself preferred to put my effort into Sake/Packages
in order to replace Universes in 3.11. Matthew has been trying to ensure
that as many SqueakMap packages as possible actually load.

cheers

Keith