[squeak-dev] The solution of (Was: Creating an image from first principles)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:10:09 UTC 2008

2008/8/6 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 6-Aug-08, at 3:14 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> I think i have found a simple and lean solution how to instantiate an
>> object memory based on analysis & processing within another object
>> memory.
>> For this, we need a single primitive, which can be added to Hydra VM
>> to do all things for us, and there is no need to use simulator!
>
> We've had this for decades. It's called the SystemTracer. It's way more
> flexible than a primitive. I (amongst others) have performed Acts Of Deep
> Magick with the tracer other the years. All it takes is a twisty mind and
> some patience.

Surely, i'm aware of it.
The process of picking objects, dealing with unwanted references,
cutting an object graph - all this is on hands of developers.
But then, when you having a set of objects to be cloned, and a set of
references to be substituted - this can be done in atomic way.
It also allows to fire up new image without any file i/o.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.