[squeak-dev] The solution of (Was: Creating an image from first principles)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 17:25:50 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 Aug 2008 8:45:12 pm tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 7-Aug-08, at 5:18 AM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > I think the original question about creating an image from first
> > principles
> > was about transmutation, not cloning.
>
> The SystemTracer can easily create new images from specs rather than
> 'merely cloning' an existing image.
SystemTracer is a Smalltalk utility. So it does not qualify as a transmutation
tool. The quest is to bootstrap a Smalltalk system (VM and image) from more
basic primitives. We know it is possible for the VM, but is it possible for
the image too?

> > How does one create a Smalltalk
> > environment (i.e. an image) starting with an environment that has only
> > imperative programming tools (e.g. C/C++, Forth etc.)? What is
> > sought is a
> > process that can be replicated by anyone proficient in the imperative
> > environment.
>
> Why waste time using crappy tools...
Mmm.. Why do the tools and utilities required to build a VM, garbage
collector, primitives and plugins suddenly become "crappy" when building an
initial image? Why is building an initial image using conventional
programming environment a reprehensible idea? I am confused.

Subbu