[squeak-dev] re: The solution of

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 00:33:23 UTC 2008

2008/8/8 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

> On 7-Aug-08, at 11:21 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>

>> Maybe i was not precise (sorry for my bad English).
>> SystemTracer alone doesn't provide any sophisticated means how to
>> terminate a subgraph by replacing edges to something different,
>> neither any criteria upon which edges can be replaced/removed etc.
>> I mean, this is completely up to you - what objects will/can be placed
>> in swapMap.
>>
> It gives you complete and total control over what goes into the wordarray
> that will be written out as an image, not just what gets swapped or clamped.
> Making a variant tracer that read a spec from XML (or whatever) and created
> objects in the 'new OM' is entirely possible. The hardest part (from my
> point of view) would be reading the xml and understanding it. Oh, and
> designing the entire spec of an image in XML would be kinda amusing too.

No XML please.  :)
Few lines of smalltalk code can do literally same as few megabytes of XML spec.

> Much more sensible would be creating some tools in a decent language
> (Squeak, duh) to allow us to define a class graph for the new image along
> with specs for whole it all gets written out. Since the new objects would
> not need to execute anything in the 'old' image there would be no problem
> with compatibility. Then you create a script that writes out suitable
> instances of the essential objects for the new image; you do not need to
> have ever created them in the old image, though it may well be simpler to do
> so in most cases.
>
> You could create an image with a totally different object format, image
> layout, class tree, bytecode set, etc this way. And of course you could
> modify the simulation code so that you could run it all before ever
> compiling a 'real VM. That's what it is all there for.

Very good. Is it available somewhere (SystemTracer, not SystemTracer2)
so i can download it as separate package?

As you may guess, i'm not interesting in mutating object formats or
bytecodes or whatever, but to define a small subset of image (either
by creating a brand new objects or by reusing already existing
objects) to be transferred into new image & run within new Hydra
thread.

In this regard, the most interesting to me - mentioned 'clamping'
techniques seem completely wiped out from SystemTracer2.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.