[squeak-dev] The solution of (Was: Creating an image from first principles)

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 14:03:24 UTC 2008

On Friday 08 Aug 2008 5:21:45 am tim Rowledge wrote:
> On 7-Aug-08, at 10:25 AM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> > SystemTracer is a Smalltalk utility. So it does not qualify as a
> > transmutation
> > tool.
>
> What? Don't be silly.
No. I am dead serious. I am curious about what does it take for a
non-smalltalk system to self host a Smalltalk environment? If there is
already a Smalltalk environment then the question doesn't arise at all.

> >> Why waste time using crappy tools...
> >
> > Mmm.. Why do the tools and utilities required to build a VM, garbage
> > collector, primitives and plugins suddenly become "crappy" when
> > building an
> > initial image?
>
> They don't. They're crappy to begin with. I've spent decades fighting
> with C compilers and debuggers etc etc etc and anyone that claims
> they're good is clearly either totally inexperienced with using them
> or deluded.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Back to the main query -
what is so mysterious ;-) in a image that can't be captured in an imperative
environment?

Subbu