[squeak-dev] Re: The solution of (Was: Creating an image from first principles)

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Aug 9 10:33:48 UTC 2008

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 05:10:48 +0200, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> I can understand why someone may not wish to go so far into the past
> that they
> cross the point of singularity (when the first image came into
> existence).

Odds are that you will never achieve this: take an arbitrary computer
system, with nothing on disk and nothing in memory after power on. You're
allowed to choose one with the most convenient instruction set ever
created on this our planet.

Your job: boot a compiler with which every program, which until then was
not compiled by the compiler, is to be replaced (so that the pre-compiler
area things can be eliminated).

Many/most of the historical records of the "pre-replacement" things are
not available, for various reasons in the previous century, often because
of the competive edge of enterprises and individuals.

That's the nature of the exercise, be it for an .image or whatsover.

/Klaus