[squeak-dev] SqueakMap revival

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Aug 12 13:38:12 UTC 2008

Hi!

Keith Hodges wrote:
> Oooh,
>
> Sake/Packages does virtual dependencies, but not conflicts, I hadn't
> thought of that...!

Yes, darnit - forgot about your work. Haven't looked at it yet, sorry to
say. And last night I honestly forgot about it :)

> A problem S/P has with SM and Universes is going in the reverse
> direction Sake/Packages (subscribers can edit) to SM/Uni (only package
> publisher can edit).
>
> Any ideas? Could SM hold two lots of metadata, and users pick either
> "author blessed" latest or "subscriber says is ok" latest.

Kabungu has a hinting mechanism (not sure yet, code is not entirely
clear) and I think "users" can add hints to package release.

> Sake/Packages has several levels
>
> Packages beta  "for the absolute latest package, if published"
> Packages current "for the subscriber says is ok"
> Packages universe "for the author published to the universe package"
> Packages squeakmap "for the squeakmap published package"
>
> How about a feedback facility in SM for users to report their experiences?

Right. :) Current SM code also has a mechanism (not used though, except
by the old Kabungu code) for attaching arbitrary "resources" (meta data)
to packages/releases. I was actually thinking of skipping that though
and integrating Kabungu fully instead.

> One problem we may have is that the list of "loaded packages" is managed
> several times over and they get out of sync. MCWorkingCopy,
> PackagesOrganizer, and in Sake/Packages class Packages>>#provided all
> have a list. I am also anticipating that MC2 will have another similar
> scheme.

And SM has its own too :)

> So in the very latest alpha MC1.5 (not yet in LPF) I have moved towards
> a scheme whereby it expects PackagesOrganizer to hold the master list of
> "loaded packages", and PackageInfo instances are willing to hold
> meta-data on behalf of other client tools.

Yeah, we need a plan. :) I am all ears. And I want all of our work to
"mesh together" as best we can. I need to learn more about Sake/Packages
to understand how it fits (or not) with Kabungu.

regards, Göran