[squeak-dev] Re: GStreamer

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed Aug 13 10:36:09 UTC 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Hello, Josh and John and list,
>
>  I'm playing with the GStreamer stuff on Fedora.  With the latest
> stuff, and some changes (attached), I managed to play a .ogg file that
> *only* has video track.  But there are a few questions:
>
>  * I needed to use the subclasses of GstElemFakeSink to play back,
>    assuming that GStreamerElementForSqueak... are being obsoleted.
>    Is it right?
>
>  * #checkDimension is only sent but not implemented.  I assumed that
>     it wants to check whether the dimension of video is sane, and I
>     thought that "sane-ness" is just checking both width and height
>     are bigger than zero.  Is it right?

Joshua was refactoring all that, I'll look later tonight

>  * #openFile: was written under the assumption that .ogg file is
>     either "video and audio" or "audio only" but I have a file that
>     is "video only".  If I open a video only file with older
>     definition, it basically forever paused and wait until it is
>     ready and doesn't play it back.  #openFile: should check the type
>     of tracks and call a proper #oggHookupToSqueak... method.  But is
>     there a simple way to query it when I have the filesrc element?

Yes there is a problem there, I was looking at "typefind" to see if we
could decide what type of file it is, but
that might require a plugin change in order to get the CAPS element
back.  I was also trying to see if you
could resolve pipeline setup as always both setup with audio/video and
work with that, but haven't gotten
around to testing it, however you are welcome to try. In this case you
could ask the elments for attribute data to see
if there are frames, or audio?

--
=
=