[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Monticello 2.0.20

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Aug 14 02:56:13 UTC 2008

Hi -

I've finally downloaded the latest version of MC2 but I'm a little lost
what advantages MC2 has for an end-user (developer). I've been looking
both at the included information as well as
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5624 but neither has much helpful
information. The latter page has at least good questions, for example
"What problem is being addressed?" but the answers lack detail "the
problems we encountered with Monticello 1" (duh, otherwise why call it
MC2 ;-)

Even after reading all the available information I'm pretty much lost as
to what reason one would have to use MC2. I understand that it has a
different versioning granularity, but what does that mean? Does it make
anything easier? Faster? Does it have capabilities beyond MC1? How does
any of this help getting work done?

I'd appreciate a five minutes sales pitch pointing out what one can do
with MC2. Either things one could not do or only barely do or maybe
slowly do with MC1. Anything to help me understand why I would want to
use MC2 instead of MC1 ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas