[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Monticello 2.0.20

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 06:27:13 UTC 2008

>  1. Faster merges.  I have a couple of MC1 packages that are in the
>  many thousands of versions.  When I merge, it takes over a minute
>  before the dialog even pops up showing me the changes.  Making this
>  less of a chore would be a great boon to my development workflow.
>  2. More efficient use of disk/network.  My MC repository is several
>  gigabytes, and I frequently transfer megabytes to commit a couple of
>  hundred bytes of source changes.  This isn't usually that big a
>  problem, but when working on a laptop with a small harddrive or a slow
>  connection, it's annoying.
>  3. Cherry picking.  The worst part about merging with MC is that it's
>  all or nothing: you have to integrate every change someone has made,
>  or none of them.  MC2 lets you pick a few changes now, a few changes
>  later, and won't lose track of what you've done.

4. Extensible. MC2 is extensible in many aspects, the GUI is based on
OB and the versioning model is simple and can potentially used for
other data than code. Take the example the task of versioning files
together with Smalltalk code. A thing that is nearly impossible in
MC1, though in one of the first versions of MC2 I could implement a
working prototype within half an hour wihtout being exposed to
documentation or the code before.

>  ever running into.  MC2 was also written with portability much more in
>  mind, though MC1 is portable in practice (it works with full interop
>  on both Squeak and Gemstone), whereas MC2 is only portable in theory
>  so far.

5. Portability. For me this is one of the most important points. MC2
clearly separates common, platform-dependent and GUI-specific code.
The current implementation of MC hardcodes to many things to easily
port to other Smalltalk dialects (GemStone did the impossible), and
therefore people write their own libraries in VisualWorks, VST, GST
and Dolphin to pull code from Squeak. This is a deadly one-way-road
for open-source projects like Seaside or OB, because people working on
these platforms are unable to contribute back conveniently. I hope
that MC2 will be able to change that.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli