[squeak-dev] Fwd: Problem with fonts on Linux with compositing activated

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Aug 17 15:04:06 UTC 2008

Am 17.08.2008 um 11:29 schrieb laurent laffont:

> Hi,
>
> I've switched to KDE4 and played with composite rendering.  With
> last squeak dev images some fonts are not rendered: it seems to be
> interpreted as a transparent region by the composite manager (see
> screenshot). I've tested this on my two debian boxes.
>
> This problem is not present in sq3.9.1-7075dev08.07.1 image, so I
> suppose it's due to NiceFont integration ?

Maybe it occurs more often with nice fonts, but it actually is a
combined VM/image problem.

The VM prefers a 32 bit X visual (with alpha channel) over a 24 bit
one. If a compositing window manager is used, the alpha channel is
used for transparency, but the image generally does not care about the
alpha channel in its frame buffer.

The olpc branch in the SVN repository has a fix for that, see

http://tinyurl.com/6fhqmw

- Bert -