[squeak-dev] ANN: SqueakDBX

Esteban Lorenzano estebanlm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:57:13 UTC 2008

We are very glad to announce the first beta release of SqueakDBX.

The aim of this project is to build an OpenDBX (http://www.linuxnetworks.de/doc/index.php/OpenDBX/
) plugin which will allow users to perform relational database
operations (DDL, DML and SQL) through a truly open source library.

This project has been selected as part of ESUG, SummerTalk 2008
(please, visit http://www.esug.org/Promotion/SummerTalk).

Through this project, the squeak community will hopefully be able to
interact with major database engines such as Oracle and MSSQL besides
open sources Postgresql and MySQL. Moreover, integrating this plugin
with GLORP (http://www.glorp.org/), will allow us to generate a
complete and open source solution to relational data base access.

We have been working in this project since january and we finally get
our first beta release. This release does not have all the features we
want it to have, just some of them, but we think is very usable.

The features for this release are:

Tested on 3.10 and Pharo.
Support for Linux and OSX.
Proved on windows (through MinGW), but some changes on OpenDBX are
still needed (next version will have full compatibility).
Tested on PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle.
MS SQL Server, Firebird, Interbase, SQLite, SQLite3 and Sybase tests
will be available as soon as possible.
Transactional management.
Automatic conversion of resultset columns (a String) into squeak types.
Large objects (clob, blob, arrays, and so on) are not yet supported.
Special OpenDBX options: multi-statments, compression, paged results.
Automated database connection release on garbage collection (although
manual disconnection is recommended ;-)
Error handling

Good news:
Lots of unit tests (82 right now, and more coming)
The code is commented
Full documentation at wiki
There are some benchmarks done and it seems to be as fast as native
driver
There are some benchmarking (more needed), but shows we are reaching
good performance (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6063)

We think its important for you to know:
We just test with MySQL 5, Postgres 8.3 and Oracle 10g XE.
We just test with Ubuntu and OSX, and very few (not really enough) in
windows.

Special thanks. We really want to thanks to:
Of course, Stephane Ducasse and all ESUG people, for the interest (and
funding) showed on this project.
Norbert Sendetzky (OpenDBX author) because all the help he gave us not
only with OpenDBX but also with SqueakDBX.

Help wanted. We are really convinced about open source projects. A
software project is better when people share opinions, work, advice,
comments, etc.
We would really appreciate if you:
Give us opinions, comments, ideas, new features, complaints and so on.
tell us if you find a bug.
tell us if you test SqueakDBX with other RDMBS or OS different from
the ones we tested. Just to know if it works or not :)

Full documentation, installation and getting started instructions can
be found at wiki page: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6052

Packages can be installed from Universe (3.10) or  SqueakMap. Current
version is 0.7.1

Sources can be download from SqueakSource http://www.squeaksource.com/SqueakDBX
  (it requires FFI installed)

Many thanks,