[squeak-dev] How to find...?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Wed Aug 20 23:26:17 UTC 2008

  Thank you, Ken,

> I'm not sure what sort of detail you are looking for.  If you mean the
> sort of textual information you might find in a changeset preamble you
> might be able to find that information in the MC repository, hopefully
> including a reference to a Mantis report with further information.  Go
> to http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a.html and click on Versions and
> search for the specific version you want to examine, then look at the
> details, you can even browse the code as of that version if you
> want.

  The detail I'm looking for is to make the mapping from the author
initials to the authors full name.  I don't mind to look at the
textual information in the preamble, but it is hard to find which one
contains the method and the version in question.

  I managed to fill most of the '?'  marks on:

http://www.netjam.org/squeak/contributors/missingSignatories

but not the 3.9 era contributors.  How would you find who 'tp' was,
for example?

  (How about:

'ASF', 'edt', 'EP', 'EW', 'm', 'NDCC', 'sk', 'YE'?

-----
!MIMEDocument class methodsFor: 'initialize-release' stamp: 'ASF 4/30/2005 17:14'!
extendedMIMEdatabase
-----

-----
!ObjectExplorerWrapper methodsFor: 'converting' stamp: 'edt 5/26/2003 12:36'!
asString
-----

-----
!BagTest methodsFor: 'tests' stamp: 'EP 2/28/2006 09:48'!
testSortedElements
-----

-----
!HttpUrl methodsFor: 'downloading' stamp: 'EW 4/30/2006 12:00'!
retrieveContentsArgs: args
-----

-----
!ProcessTerminateBug methodsFor: 'tests' stamp: 'm 7/28/2003 19:10'!
testSchedulerTermination
-----

-----
!DictionaryTest methodsFor: 'association tests' stamp: 'NDCC 3/8/2006 08:14'!
testAddAssociation
-----

-----
!WorldState methodsFor: 'stepping' stamp: 'sk 1/26/2003 18:31'!
runStepMethodsIn: aWorld
-----

-----
!SkipListTest methodsFor: 'public' stamp: 'YE 3/8/2006 10:00'!
testAtPutAlreadyPresent
-----

> Alternatively if you want a 3.9 or later image with full history it
> seems like it should work to start with a 3.8 image and force it to load
> updates.  This will be a long and arduous task but in time should result
> in an image with method versions reflecting the changes during 3.9 (and
> 3.10 if you continue that far).

  I'd probably build the extention of tool that I have now; instead of
filing in, it just creates the ChangeRecord like object and store in
my dictionary.  I don't necessarily like to see the current code
changing^^; In this way, I can view the long history of methods from
1.13 to the latest in a browser-like tool.

-- Yoshiki