[squeak-dev] Making a better Compiler for all

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 15:19:53 UTC 2008

Hello folks,

during my visit at ESUG i had a conversation with Stephane, about
different things, one of them is to make a better and cleaner compiler
implementation.

Current compiler code contains a lot of hacks and to be fair, is not a
best example of good smalltalk code.
What i'm proposing, is to establish a comittee for designing a better
smalltalk compiler , which will replace old one on all existing Squeak
forks.
I think comittee should collect & discuss all feature requests, which
new compiler should have, and then we can implement it and include in
every and all forks.
It is also, IMO, would be a good to make compiler modular - put it as
separate package and maintain it as separate fork-independent entity.
This will ensure that all existing forks in future will use the same
compiler as the rest. Which will make people's life much easier :)

I hope with support of atomic loading (btw a new compiler is a good
test-bed for atomic loading) we should be able to load it at will :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.