[squeak-dev] Kernel Extensions Missing in Web Dev Image 3.10

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 19:10:09 UTC 2008

Thomas Kowark wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have downloaded a squeak 3.10 based web-dev image from Damien
> Cassou's website and stumbled upon the following problem:
>
> Some of the tests in my current project are setting
> #shouldInheritSelectors to true. This leads to a method
> #withInheritedSelectors being called.
> This method now tries to call #allSelectorsBelow, which unfortunately
> is not implemented by any class. A quick Google lookup revealed that
> this method comes with the KernelExtensions package. After installing
> the package, the tests worked just fine.
#allSelectorsBelow: is available separately to KernelExtensions in an
attempt to reduce dependencies. I believe it has been harvested into
Pharo. It is available as:

Installer mantis ensureFix: 7166.

and is now included with LevelPlayingField
(http://installer.pbwiki.com/LevelPlayingField)
> Damien, could you include this package into the next release of the
> images, or are there any problems with it, I am not aware of?
> While the squeak map package loader wasn't working, I've been going
> with the universe browser.
> This worked fine, too, but unfortunately some packages were available
> only in older versions.
> Are there any ongoing efforts to unify those two systems?
Yes there is Sake-Packages available via:

Installer install: 'Packages'.

This has all the package definitions as generated from the development
Universe, and we users can override these definitions in various ways to
keep them up to date, even when the maintainers have forgotten to update
Universes. Optionally you can also load similar definitions generated
from the SqueakMap map.

You can define "known to work in specific image" definitions, and "beta
- try the latest code" definitions.

Sake-Packages can be told about and use dependencies, it can load from
anywhere including squeakmap (even if squeakmap is not loaded). It can
also add dependencies to the existing SqueakMap data.

So... please do join packages at lists.squeakfoundation.org to monitor
changes and discuss this collaborative work, and join the we USERs of
the packages in determining what works where.

best regards

Keith

p.s. People hanging out on irc #squeak are also available to help
collaborate to get as much working for as many people as possible.