[squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream>>skipSeparatorsAndPeekNext doesNotUnderstand: #isSeparator

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 21:59:21 UTC 2008

Tim Johnson wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I need to start all over again, from scratch and try to build
>> up a development image again from the original and this time try to
>> avoid getting any errors while filing in the packages I want from the
>> Package Universe Browser.  I find that thing so very hard to use
>> though -- it doesn't seem to create any audit trail to help me
>> remember what I've selected by hand, and I can't seem to toggle
>> things off if I've accidentally toggled them on, and it's way of
>> displaying the list is very cumbersome for the number of items in the
>> list.
>
> It's a fairly recent tool.  I get the feeling it is under-supported.
> Are these packages available to you on SqueakMap, with the added
> caveat of having to manage dependencies manually?
>
> I too have found myself building up an image using Universes, trying
> packages one-by-one and if one fails I have to start all over.  It
> does not seem production-ready, and it is beyond me to know why.  Its
> interface is indeed lackluster.  I have given up on using it*.  The
> problems it causes when there is an error seem to be so
> close-to-the-core as to create entirely unusable images.
>
> *I have had good luck, though, with the Seaside-related packages.
> Perhaps this is because they are high-visibility and thus get more
> attention.
>
> - TimJ
Why not try Sake/Packages.

Step 1. To Install... (if you have an image with a recent Installer in it

Installer upgrade.
Installer install: 'Packages'.

Step 2. Join packages at lists.foundation.org to see changes to the package
definitions and discuss dependencies etc.

Step 3. When something doesnt quite work you can change it and save the
Packages-Library monticello file.

Result we all get to collaborate on getting things working.

Any problems, visit "friends of Sake/Packages" on irc #squeak channel
for instant (ish) support

Keith

p.s. Step 4 tell squeak-dev how cool Sake/Packages is.