[squeak-dev] [fixish] loading Telnet 301 into 3.10.2-7179-basic bombs reading SimpleTextMorph-fixed.bdf

Tim Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
Fri Dec 5 20:29:55 UTC 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 1:58 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
>
>> When loading Telnet 301 into 3.10.2-7179-basic a question box is
>> opened asking if a more suitable font should be generated.  Upon
>> answering "Yes" I get the following error:
>
> Well first I tried loading Telnet 301 in using SqueakMap, but that
> didn't work (utf8 error...?).  Filing in the two changesets worked
> though.
>
> Backtracing the stack, it seems that the instance variable
> #properties of BDFFontReader never gets initialized.  Adding a
> stupid line
> "properties ifNil: [properties := Dictionary new]." to the beginning
> of BDFFontReader>>read seems to fix the problem... my guess is that
> some class-side constructor is bypassing the instance's #initialize
> method...?  Figuring out where and fixing that would probably be the
> true fix.
>
> Executing 'TeletypeWindow open' now brings up a teletype window and
> seems to have the correct font.  Trying to access the application
> menu for the window though brings up another DNU...
> StrikeFontSet(Object)  doesNotUnderstand: #isMonospaced.

Doing some Googling shows that this is not at all new.  However, I
cannot find anything in Mantis about it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=StrikeFont+%23isMonospaced    (I'm
ignoring the Amiga Pascal code :) )

The mailing list post shows that the problems have been investigated
as far back as 2003 but for some reason no fixes have been created or
committed.  Also to be found is more IRC commentary about Universes
and Telnet in particular.  IRC sure does seem to be the hip place to be!

- TimJ