What is Squeak (was Re: [squeak-dev] Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sat Dec 6 15:57:53 UTC 2008

Hello Edgar,

>> EJDC> 3.11 ? Vaporware....
>>
>> unnecessary destructive comment.

...snip..

EJDC> Any not sharing this should be on another list.
hm, that is decided by who subscribes to this list.

EJDC> Also Squeak once was a wonderful fun world for all.
EJDC> Children's, teachers, researchers and web developers.
I came to Squeak 3.6 and yes that was the fascinating thing about
Squeak then. Seen (solely) from that perspective Squeak went downhill
from then to now.

But 3.7 and 3.8 brought things with them that made Squeak more
practical for me, so now I'm on 3.8.2. I saw the loss but was not
willing to do the work, so what? 3.9 and 3.10 didn't and didn't appeal
to me.

EJDC> I know my SqueakLightII is not a silver bullet .
EJDC> I name it SqueakLightII , because 3.11 name was taked at the time and I have
EJDC> a SqueakLight before, but is really a logic step from 3.10.
EJDC> Smaller and more modular.

And more of the old great projects running on it, at least your
reports say.

EJDC> We don't have more with us to
EJDC> Dan , Ralph , Ned, Diego , Steph , Tim , Pavel, etc.

Actually two things are needed: Work getting done and gathering of
followers. For SqueakLight I can only be the consumer. Consumers
don't report bugs, they turn away and take a fresh look later.

On the positive side I feel that more people have come here than have
left here. And I feel that both 3.11 and 4.0 efforts may bring us
closer to Squeak being a better base when somebody again will build
the big image with everything.

But maybe Squeak will change to being the great developer tool
envisioned by some here and the fun and play squeak will stay in a
less universal incarnation with Squeakland.

The world changes.

EJDC> So Herbert , you should know me better.
EJDC> I don't wish be destructive.

Yes I know you better but this is a public list. Calling some peoples
efforts "vaporware" is diminishing (a lot of) work that is done with
good intention and not awaking anybody.

Btw I had a lot of fun using Squeak the development tool to let a
program play Asteroids on a simulator running the original ROM of the
ca. 1980 Atari arcade game. Real great useless fun!

http://www.heise.de/ct/creativ/08/02/ergebnisse/ click on any of the
> triangles, you find me on position 69, most impressive is position
17.

Cheers,

Herbert