[squeak-dev] Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 6 22:19:46 UTC 2008

Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> Hello Keith,
>
> 2008/12/5 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
> <mailto:keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>>
>

>     Did you know that someone in the Pharo camp recently merged
>     FileList and
>     FileList2. Is it just me or could that improvement be useful to
>     everyone, whether in etoys or croquet. There is nothing in the Pharo
>     mindset or toolset that enables this to happen by default.
>

> I merged FileList two weeks before I saw the open issue in the Pharo
> issues list, as an excercise in a new automatic merging tool I'm
> writing. But anyone feel free to take that fix and merge it into any
> Squeak image.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Hernán
Dear Hernán,

first of all I must make clear that my comment re: FileList was intended
to be entirely illustrative of the attitude, not concrete to any one
fix, or person.

Again using FileList as an easy example, of how to think about
positioning this tool for the future.

Firstly if someone were to take FileList and make it a standalone
loadable package, this would potentially contribute to every squeak
varient out there.

Secondly it would need to be refactored so that its interface to
FileDirectory is a separate package. So that in the future an
alternative to FileDirectory could be slotted in, or images that
nolonger have FileDirectory might supply their own Interface package.
Perhaps the UI could be a separate package for when the OB version, or
Morphic3 version is required.

As I said this is only an illustrative example.

Keith