[squeak-dev] Re: What is Squeak (was Re: Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 11:32:35 UTC 2008

Hi Edgar,

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Edgar J. De Cleene
<edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> The last good Squeak release with wide consensus was 3.8

what's "good"? (Rhetoric question. *Please* don't answer. I *think* I
get your point.)

About consensus: oh please, that's frankly not possible. Once a
certain critical mass in community participation has been reached, it
is almost inevitably the case that there are digressions, branches,
and so on.

> Then come people who for his own (maybe good) purposes introduce Traits.
> You always said and I support still no evidence Traits give us some we don't
> could made with good Smalltalk.
> And introduce the troubles.

I agree that traits should have been optional. That said, I recently
made ContextS work in Squeak 3.10, and yon traits weren't painful.
Then again, maybe I just didn't have to touch the "right" places...

Best,

Michael