[squeak-dev] What is Squeak ??? Who knows?

Benoit St-Jean bstjean at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 20:23:58 UTC 2008

To all...

Can we, for once, take a deep breath and step back for a minute.  No, we can't ALL be on the same page with the same goals, motivations and preferences.  Personally, I don't care about EToys, Traits and some other-cool-things-that-I-do-not-use but I can understand some people have interests different than mine.

"This is a Pharo list now".  No, Pharo has its own mailing list.  But the Pharo guys are kind enough and do care about Smalltalk/Squeak enough that when they find/fix bugs that they suspect could be present in "other flavors/forks" of Squeak, they simply post it here too.  Just to be nice.  Just to help the "Squeak" community.  "Squeak" not just as in "Squeak-dev" but more in the "larger sense", WhateverSqueak fork out there.

Personally, the more forks we have, the more chances we have to "convert" someone into Squeak, Smalltalk.  The more Smalltalk (or Squeak) flavors out there, the better.  Even though I never use ObjectStudio nor GNU Smalltalk, I'd never criticize or "bash" those guys because, in a sense, I feel we are in the same "community", the Smalltalkers one.  The more Smalltalk grows (in directions we like or not), the more people we'll reach.

Let's not try to self-implode like a dying star here...

Diversity is cool and necessary to evolve.  Besides, wasn't experimentation one of the initial goals of Squeak?!

Gentlemen, at your browsers.  Let's not waste our time on details and let's flood the world with Smalltalk...

My 2 cents

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)