[squeak-dev] Re: What is Squeak (was Re: Re: package universes, sake/packages, (first time) user experiences, etc.)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Mon Dec 8 08:20:05 UTC 2008

> We have
> seen constant improvements in Squeak, mostly non-controversial and in my
> experience, the situations where you find great resistance are almost
> exclusively those where one side is absolutely unwilling to adopt to
> concerns and push things with pseudo justifications like "this is for
> your own benefit". If it were, you wouldn't have to force people to use
> it - you would make it accessible so that people have the option and
> then, when its value is established, you can come back and make a real
> case why it should be included by default. This is how the process
> should have gone with traits.

yes.

would it have happened this way, the people implementing traits may have
  noticed that a lot of people did not use them simply because the tools
were not there. IMO the job has been left unfinished, and with the
traits team moving to Pharo we seem to be left with yet another leftover
mostly useless cruft in Squeak, which is the kind of thing these same
people have been creating Pharo to get rid of. how sadly ironic. it
seems to me that a lot of time, energy and good-willingness from all
sides has just been wasted.

Stef