[squeak-dev] Re: Re: Re: Forking, proper release management, unit tests, etc.

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Mon Dec 8 23:11:25 UTC 2008

On 8-Dec-2008, at 3:32 PM, Keith Hodges wrote:

> I was asked for a clearer explanation... :-) so here goes...
>
> =========
> SakeTasks - The shortest summary I could come up with.
>
> A package inspired by Make and ruby's Rake.
>
> It runs tasks. Tasks consist of actions (blocks or tasks), in an order
> as defined by dependencies (blocks or tasks), if the "ifs" (blocks
> returning true/false, or tasks which succeed or fail), indicate that
> the
> task is necessary.

That doesn't look to me on first glance like something that should
ever be seen by the user (i.e. the developer who might submit change
sets or projects to be reviewed for possible inclusion in an upcoming
release).

It might be a good foundation tool, but it's not really anything I'd
want to ever use directly I don't think.

What would it take to build a proper configuration management and
release management tool on top of MC, SUnit, and maybe this Tasks thing?

I'm thinking of something more along the lines of "Aegis" with multi-
level commits and enforced unit tests, etc., etc., etc....

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>