[squeak-dev] What is Forking Squeak

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Tue Dec 9 15:24:05 UTC 2008

Hello Everyone,

This is not quite the same thread so I thought I’d start a new one.

Squeak is alive and well and in better shape then even I could have
imagined.  Yes it looks forking disorganized but it is in no way foundering.
I see tremendous progress with Igor and Eliot working on the VM.  I see
fantastic progress with Andreas, Brad, Josh, Howard, Greg, and David at Qwaq
on Croquet, plus Julian et al. with Cobalt.  There is fantastic work going
on with Philippe, Lukas, and Avi with Seaside and I’m very happy to see Stef
and Marcus working hard on Pharo.  I’m really looking forward to seeing what
Craig can do, and I hear Bert is moving to Los Angeles to work with Alan and
Yoshiki!  And Alan and Ian are reinventing computing.  Gilad and Vassili are
using squeak to develop newspeak.

If that is not progress I don’t know what is.  The only things missing in my
opinion are Tim (vacation is over time to come back!), I want to see more
success with Sophie, Plopp and Scratch and the licensing issue is hard but I
see hard work going into it which is great.

What is needed to move forward?  I’ve given this some thought and I’ve come
to the conclusion that Andreas and Avi were right.  We need to play well
with others.  We need to be able to integrate Apache, OpenSSL, Ruby, PHP and
Python.  The solutions to today’s problems are not only solved with Squeak.
I think we need to learn to live with this distributed development and learn
to play well with each other.  Once we learn the lessons of integrating our
own code we can apply those lessons to integrating with others.  In that
line I think the work with Installer, MC2, Delta Streams, SqueakMap, and
Spoon are all on the right track.  Something will eventually tie us and
other platforms too back together.

It may be a strange time but it is a great time for Squeak!  I would think
that Randal called it correctly this was the year of Squeak and it has been
a terrific success.  We should all be proud, not of one fork but of all of
them.  We are still one community and we are a strong one thanks to the
terrific efforts of Ken, Göran, Edgar, Keith, and Mathew.  Plus there is
great work being done by everyone I didn’t mention!

Ok I have to get back to work now.

Ron Teitelbaum