[squeak-dev] SqueakMap Package Loader

Tim Johnson tjohnson at iwu.edu
Tue Dec 9 16:44:47 UTC 2008

Hi,

What efforts are being made to put a polished end-user experience on
top of Installer scripts and Mantis bug-report trawling?  Or are these
tasks not considered something that an end-user would need to
perform...?  (Or do we need to get into a semantic argument over what
is an end-user [and what is polished] :) )

What are the chances that SqueakMap Package Loader, with its well-
understood and efficient interface, could be extended for use as a
front-end to Sake/Packages*?  There is a common complaint that the
Package Universe Browser is not polished enough, but I think SqueakMap
Package Loader is generally accepted as nice.  This could be a great
option for end users wanting to install packages, yes?  As it has been
for years...

Please forgive me if I am naively enflaming a Monticello / SqueakMap /
Sake / ChangeSet war.

Thanks,
TimJ

* or other new packaging systems being developed